Get a sneak peek of Caboodle 2!
Version 2 is now in beta testing! It includes several much-requested enhancements, including the ability to open multiple documents, sync documents between Macs via Dropbox or iCloud Drive, huge performance improvements with large documents, movable custom fields, better text editing, and much more.
Learn more about the changes.
About the Release Notes
Want to know what has changed since a previous version? This page lists those changes. You can alter the range of release notes to display if you wish.
The latest general release of Caboodle is version 1.5. The latest beta release is version 2.0b2.
(Release 1902b): released 2016-11-03; requires macOS Yosemite (10.10) or later; 64-bit, Sierra-ready
- Added an in-app purchase option, so you can purchase a license without leaving the app.
- Removed the Show/Hide Toolbar menu command, and fixed the Customize Toolbar... command.
- Built for Sierra (but still compatible back to Yosemite).
(Release 1901b): released 2016-06-17; requires macOS Yosemite (10.10) or later; 64-bit
Multiple Caboodle Documents
- The most popular request: Caboodle now supports multiple documents, so you can have one for work, one for personal, or organize by project, etc.
- The documents can be saved anywhere you like.
- Save on Dropbox or iCloud Drive to share (yes, supports editing on multiple Macs!).
- The data is now stored in a much improved format, as a package containing standard rich text documents.
- Opening and saving now only reads and writes the needed parts, resulting in much improved performance (no need to worry about embedded documents slowing things down anymore).
- The version 1 data will be opened by default, and can be re-opened later via the FileOpen Recent menu. Changes can be saved to a new document; the version 1 data won't be modified.
Significantly Improved Custom Fields
- You can now drag the custom fields to reorder them, drag them to the text area, or drag text into the fields to add a field (separate the field name and value with a tab, return, or ": ").
- Simplified the buttons to have a single Add (+) button, and modern Remove (X) buttons.
- The sidebar and fields areas have been significantly modernized behind the scenes.
- Increased the size of the icon well a little.
- Now uses a new flat icon as the default for new top-level entries.
- Removed the "Show/Hide Entries List" menu command and collapsing the entries list, since it only caused confusion.
Refined Text Area
- Now uses a text format bar below the window toolbar, which includes font, styles, foreground and background color, alignment, lists, and more.
- Now uses an inline find bar for searching (and replacing) text within an entry.
- Added support for inline markup of images.
- Caboodle now supports Spotlight for system-wide searching of entry content.
- Searching all entries via the search field in the toolbar is now powered by Spotlight, so is faster and more efficient.
- Reimplemented the auto-launch preference to work with Yosemite and later.
- Removed the quit confirmation preference.
- Caboodle now uses the popular Sparkle framework for app updates, so it can finally download and install updates itself.
- Changed the Updates preferences for the Sparkle framework.
- Added a Release Notes button to the Updates preferences, to easily display what changed.
- This will be a paid upgrade. Pricing to be decided, but affordable. You can use the beta for free.
- Fixed display of license entry date in the Licenses editor.
- Caboodle now requires a 64-bit Mac and a minimum of OS X Yosemite (10.10).
- Many other behind-the-scenes improvements made possible by dropping older OS versions, ancient PowerPC and 32-bit support.