Caboodle is temporarily unavailable for purchase. Stay tuned!

Caboodle icon Caboodle
Lean, clean snippet machine

Caboodle is unclear on whether data is saved or not

I find Caboodle pretty useful as collector of small notes. However, one feature is pretty bad, and vital: Saving data. I havn't lost any data, but the problem is that I never know when that can happen. There is a "save entry" menu item, which is ALWAYS ENABLED. What does that mean? How do I know that EVERYTHING is saved? What happens if I save, or forget to save and move to another entry?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Caboodle is unclear on whether data is saved or not

Caboodle automatically saves when you change entries or quit. There is no need to manually save. That option is provided in case you're working on a long entry, and want to manually save periodically.

This option will be removed in a future version, since a better approach is to automatically save on a regular basis. You shouldn't even have to think about saving, even with long entries; Caboodle just keeps everything safe for you.

Removing the entry altogether would make sense, if it really saves regularly so I can trust it. As it is now, the always enabled "save" implies that I need to save, it never disables.

David Sinclair's picture

The Save command has been removed from Caboodle 1.4 (due out soon). It has been replaced with an automatic save one minute after starting to change an entry, in addition to the existing auto-save when selecting a different entry or on quit, if the entry was changed.

If you've removed manual save, then I request that you add autosave every minute an entry is open. If it's only saved once, this seems insecure for people who work on long entries (and then, e.g., leave the entry open while they do something else). A lack of configurable autosave also puts Caboodle at a disadvantage in comparison to similar programs for the Mac.

David Sinclair's picture

To be clear, it automatically saves one minute after any change — if you continue making changes, it saves once per minute. If you make some changes then leave it for 10 minutes, it'll save once then won't bother again until you make more changes, then it will save a minute after starting that change. That continues as long as you make changes. This is much the same as Apple's standard autosave mechanism.

And, of course, it autosaves when changing entries or quitting too, as always.

Basically, you don't need to think about saving; it'll happen automatically. If the app crashes or you force quit it, the most you could ever lose is one minute of work (barring some catastrophic event like a bad disk).