Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Settings disappeared after RAM upgrade

Hi,

early last week we finally upgraded our machine from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, bringing Simon from v3 to v4 as well. Everything worked great, all the 30+ test-configurations were recognized and worked out of the box for the past 10 days. Numerous restarts and system config changes included.
For the past week I didn’t make any changes whatsoever, until about an hour ago, when I did nothing else, but upgrading the RAM on the machine. Until then, the monitoring tasks worked as they should too. After booting up, I was greeted with the Setup Assistant screen by Simon, with all the custom configuration gone.
The connection between the RAM chips and the stored settings seems very odd to me, but hey, what do I know …

As you can imagine, I am not too happy about this, especially this happening over the holidays. I have no extra documentation about what all was configured there, so I would be happy about someone pointing me to how to get the configuration back. There is a time machine backup we have from just after having upgraded the machine last week. Also – why would these settings get lost?

Thanks, Mario

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Settings disappeared after RAM upgrade

Hi Mario,

There's no way just changing the RAM should wipe the data. I don't know what's going on there.

Anyway, the Simon data is stored in the path "~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon". So you should be able to restore it by copying the data from your backup. Make sure you quit Simon first.