Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

How to access preferences if menu and dock icons are off?

Hi,

If I have switched the menu bar and dock icons off (so there's no window or UI showing at all), how do I access the preferences, f.ex. to modify break intervals?

I know I can delete the app's preference file which will reset everything to default, but is there a less drastic way to do this?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: How to access preferences if menu and dock icons are off?

Time Out will display a warning about this if you turn off both.

The way to do it is open the app from the Finder (e.g. double-click the app icon), then press ⌘, (i.e. the Command and Comma keys together), which will open the preferences window.

Thanks for your reply, David! I'm not sure if I understood this correctly: at which point should I press Command-Comma? I can't do this while double-clicking, because that will open Finder's preferences.

On the other hand, there's no way to make Time Out the active (front-most) application after launch, because it hides itself immediately after launching, and there's no window or menu item to bring it forward. It's also hidden from the dock and the Command-Tab sequence. (I know this is exactly what I asked it to do when turning these settings off; I just didn't realize it would be difficult to access the preferences afterwards... :-) )

And BTW, congrats on Time Out 2.1 release & Dejal 25th anniversary!

David Sinclair's picture

After you double-click the icon in the Finder, the app will become active, even though it doesn't show anything. So press Cmd-Comma at that point, and the Time Out preferences will open.

Thanks for the congrats. Quite a milestone!

Ok, now I get it. Thanks!