Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

one-time purchase option would improve your sales

Great job on this app's development! If I could purchase it once for $3 to $15 like most utilities and get all the advanced features permanently for the current app version, I would.

I'm betting your subscription-like model requires more financial commitment from potential customers than most people are willing to make for a utility app. That's the case for me. You could make a lot more $ from the many people like me who are out there if you'd offer a non-subscription purchase option at "the going rate" for utility apps. In a non-subscription-like payment system, you could still get ongoing income from past purchasers, if future upgrades are compelling enough to convince customers to buy new versions you release.

You may find out from others' responses to this post if this idea resonates with your audience.

Email me if you make a change like I've described, and I'll likely buy Time Out. With the current pricing model, I'll be looking at my other options for now.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: one-time purchase option would improve your sales

You don't have to pay more than once if you don't want to. You can become a supporter at whatever level you feel comfortable with, and not pay again unless you want to show your appreciation (kinda like a tip jar). After your supporter status expires, all of the advanced features that you had when you were a supporter will remain available permanently. Of course, I hope that people choose to support at the 12-month level, and choose to renew their support in the future, but there's no need if you don't think it's worth it.

I tried to make this clear with the text saying it's a one-time payment on the "Support Time Out" page, and in the "Learn More" popover. Do you have any suggestions on how I could make it more clear?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: one-time purchase option would improve your sales

By the way, check out the blog post I just published, that gives more info about how the supporter model has gone over the past year.