Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Test dependencies

I have a portable lab that is not always turned on. I'm trying to monitor the lab services using Simon, however, I haven't found a way of creating a dependency for starting a group of tests.

I want to have a way to define a dependency for the lab test group. Something like "if the server X is responding, then enable the group for testing".

Is there such a feature in Simon?

Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Test dependencies

Groups in Simon are just like folders; you can't assign logic to them. (Though that is something I might add in a future version.)

One solution might be to just try the tests, but don't notify of a failure (or change) if the state indicates it is not on. That would depend on the output you get, but you could do something like that via a filter, e.g. when a failure occurs, if it is one that you don't want to hear about, change the result to unchanged instead.

Sorry I can't give a better answer, but I hope that technique helps!

Thanks David, I'll give it a try.

Is there Apple Script support? That will give me enough power to do this "magic trick" together with Keyboard Maestro.

Thank you so much for the reply and for the lovely app.

David Sinclair's picture

There isn't any AppleScript support for remote-controlling Simon. Again, it's something I've considered, but there hasn't been much demand for it.

However, there is the ability to write AppleScripts or shell scripts for services, filters, and notifiers. So you might be able to add a custom script-based service to do your check (perhaps calling a shell command), then output whatever you wish, based on the availability of the lab services and its status.

Sounds like worth trying.

Again, thank you so much for the kind help.