Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

FTP directory Listing?

HI ,

Trying to setup FTP Directory Listing, on a remote web server, when I set it up with the credentials I get error:

ftp: Command not found. (1) in the Activity Area.

What am I missing?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: FTP directory Listing?

Is it possible that the server doesn't have the ftp command? Seems highly unlikely, but I'm not sure what else it could be... and I could imagine it being disabled to prevent using an insecure one.

The FTP Directory Listing service is just a script; you can see the source if you edit it via the Services list. So you can try replicating that in Terminal to see if that gives any more info.

I am using the simon program on High Sierra and from what I can tell Apple has removed FTP and Telnet from Sierra and high Sierra for security reasons tried from the terminal and got errors there.

David Sinclair's picture

Yes, that does appear to be the case. That's rather inconvenient.

If you do want to use them, this third-party blog post has a couple of solutions. I just found that via Google, so I can't vouch for the safety of that site.

I have done that , still the directory listing does not work in Simon.
In terminal I can login and display just fine.

What should the output look like?

Script type when I do edit is at C Shell: /bin/csh

Parameters below are as follows:
ftp -n -v {Domain} << EOF
user {Username} {Password}
cd {Directory Path}
ls
EOF

David Sinclair's picture

That looks correct. But if you've installed a replacement ftp tool, you may need different parameters. Try doing it in Terminal to see what works, then replicate that in Simon.

I have removed the FTP Directory Listing service from Simon as of version 4.3b1 (currently in beta).