Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Theme settings are not being saved

Hi,

there is a bug that causes that some of theme settings are not saving.

I'd like to use a theme "None". It works after I choose it, but this setting reverts back to "Icon" after a computer restart.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Theme settings are not being saved

This feature (and some others) is available to try for an hour at a time, as often as you like. To keep it available permanently, you can become a supporter.

I tried to show this by having the heart icon next to the feature red and persistent when you use it, and automatically show the popover with the explanation. Did you miss that? Do you have any suggestions on how I could make it more clear?

Yep, I've known there are some restrictions in a free account, but I already am a supporter :-)

I think other supporter's features work fine, except for "Automatically start Time Out when you log in to the computer". I have this option checked, but it doesn't open automatically anyway.

David Sinclair's picture

Oh sorry; it's a common question from people trying the app, so I assumed you weren't a supporter.

I haven't heard of any supporters with the theme not sticking, so firstly check that the supporter status is recognized by the app. Does the "Support Time Out" page say "Thank you for your support" at the top?

If it doesn't, restore your purchase via the button on that page. If it does, and the theme isn't sticking, turn on the "Output data handling logging" option on the "Advanced" page and try setting the theme again, then quit Time Out, relaunch, and check the setting again. If it has reverted, please send me the Console log entries so I can see what is happening.

Ok, I've sent you logs via email.

nilbus's picture

I had the same situation here, having been a previous supporter 2 years ago. After purchasing a new support thing, the text at the top changed from something similar to actually saying "Thank you for your support".

However things are still broken. After quitting and restarting, the Theme reverts from None to Icon. I've repeated this several times after purchasing the support package.

These console logs (with data handling logging enabled) include starting the Time Out app, correcting the Theme setting, and quitting.
https://cl.ly/1H3q353i390W

nilbus's picture

Notably, the "Automatically start Time Out when you log in" setting does not persist for me either, nor does renaming breaks. For a new break I created, all settings were reverted, including name (reverted to Untitled), label color, what to do when taking a natural break, break duration, and theme. These were all the settings I changed. I am however able to persist the schedule of the Micro break.

David Sinclair's picture

The issue with the None option not persisting is a known bug. Other theme choices will persist, just not that one. I'll fix that soon.

I hadn't heard of an issue with renaming breaks, or values for a new break, though. I'll investigate those.

nilbus's picture

Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

I've tried to reproduce the issue of the break config not being saved, with mixed success.

If I make a change (e.g. change the break name) then quickly quit Time Out, it will occasionally have the old name when I relaunch, but most of the time it is saved correctly. I can't get it to fail when changing multiple things, though.

Can you reproduce this issue reliably?